After my daughter completed 4 months, I started using only cloth diapers for her. Due to the pandemic, the year 2020 was mostly spent at home, therefore it wasn't
difficult to manage, But I was not sure about using cloth diapers for my baby even while travelling.
At the same time, my inner voice was not ready to use disposable diapers so I had to give it a try.
Here I am, glad to say that with proper planning and determination we managed our trips with cloth diapers.
Sharing some of the learnings from my experience of travelling with organic diapers.
1) Our flight from Mumbai to Guwahati was scheduled in the morning, therefore previous day I used only cotton nappies, washed and dried after each use
to pack them along with other diapers.
2) While travelling from Mumbai to Guwahati (6 Hours), I made my daughter wear a pocket diaper with 2 inserts, assuming there won't be any need to change.
(Unless she poops!)
3) Carried 2 sets of diapers:
- one that would last for 4-5 hours(If she poops after reaching Mumbai airport or just before boarding the plane).
-Another with pee holding capacity for 1-2 hours.
4) Bags to keep used diapers and cloth wipes. (I make my own wipes)
5) Allowed diaper-free time. After waking up and before leaving for the day and in the evening after coming back to the hotel.
6) Changed the diaper after 3 to 5 hours depending on the type of inserts used and mode of transport used.
7) Training pants or cotton nappies works great as diaper-free time and they came to my rescue during these travelling times.
It has been a smooth ride till now with cloth diapers.
The only mistake I did was not giving her some diaper-free time while travelling from Jorhat to Guwahati (6 hours by road).
Since we left in the morning and we were in a little hurry, we changed her diaper just before leaving and as a result, she did get some rashes.
and this was a great learning point for me.
It is very important to allow some diaper-free time even for 5-10 mins during travelling.
If you are worried about cleaning the poop, then there are biodegradable disposal liners which makes poo cleaning very easy.
(Luckily our daughter didn’t poop on the flight or in the car during these trips).
Till then happy travelling……